Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day one

High for the day:255
Low for the day:85

So first off a question that I always have when I see a blog post, I always think 'why do a blog?' 'What is the purpose?' For me the idea to begin blogging came after I read an article for my education class. This article was written by a woman with M.S. who decided to describe her life as a cripple (for those of you who would like to read this article it is called "On Being a Cripple" by Nancy Mairs). Nancy, in her article,  brought up many points that were universal to people who have been diagnosed with an un-cureable disease. but this article got me thinking. 'What about type one diabetics?'
 Over the years I have come to realize that type one diabetes is very unknown. 9 times out of 10 people assume that type one and two are the same. And they are not. Type one diabetes is not preventable where type two (with a good diet and exercise) is. Type one happens when your  stops producing insulin.  This is deadly. If type one God un-diagnosed the person can die. No one, outside those who experience this, realize the amount of strength is needed to face this fact daily. 
 This is why I have decided to write a blog, so I can give myself some therapy and maybe help other people by showing them that they are not alone. A feeling I myself have felt for many years. This feeling of having people not understand is expressed most clearly when you realize that diabetes is an "invisible disease". It is hard to know if someone has type one, especially when that person is on injection rather than the pump. Unlike caner and M.S. diabetes isn't an "in your face" thing. In a way this is a good thing, there isn't that feeling of being separated because people know you are "sick". But, this also makes it a very lonely feeling, at least for me. 
  Compared to many, unfortunately, I handle my diabetes at a "normal" level. I have often been told by my doctors that I am the poster child for type one diabetes. My A1C's have been in the good range (never going above 8), all except my first. The doctors have been happy with this as I will not have to suffer the far to offend complications of having type one. I wont necessarily go blind, or lose a foot, but I will never get better. I will always have to worry about the highs and the lows, always have to go to bed high, to test my blood sugar, to dose with insulin. Yes, a cure is close, but I have except that close will most likely not be in my lifetime, and possibly not even my children's. But, it is coming. So here is the start to my blog post, a place where I can talk and you can realize that you aren't going this journey alone. Diabetics, I feel, need to be more like cancer survivors, we need to be there for one another. So to end on a good note, Hakuna Matata

No comments:

Post a Comment